Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Roasted Tomato Chutney

I can  across this recipe when I wanted try my hand at preserving some fruit. I came across this cookbook. I loved that is said small-batches. I liked this recipe because it seemed like I could handle this one becasue it was easy, I could just use my freezer I didn't have to process it. I've been making this since last august and my family loves it. It won't last a week! The recipe comes from the book the Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving I got mine at costco or sam's club. The whole Small-Batch really caught my eye...LOL


Roasted Tomato Chutney

1 Cup    Fresh Coriander Leaves, packed tightly
10   Plum Tomatoes, quartered
10  Cloves of Garlic, peeled
1   2" piece of Hot Yellow or Jalapeno Pepper
2 tbsp  Olive Oil
1/2 tsp each: Ground Cumin, Mustard Seeds, Salt and freshly ground Pepper

1.Place coriander in shallow ovenproof casserole. (I use a cookie sheet with an edge) Top with tomatoes,garlic and hot pepper. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with seasonings.
2. Roast,uncovered in a 350 oven for about 35 minutes. remove from oven stir to combine and cool slightly. Place in a food processor and the pulse with on/off motion until coarsely chopped.
3. Spoon chutney into jars or plastic containers to within 1/2" of the rim. Cover with tight-fitting lids. label jars and refrigerate for up to one week or freeze for longer storage. (I just put mine in a tupperware, mine just never make it to this step...LOL)
You can use this on pasta, with crackers, as a appitizer or in a pasta salad. It also matches will with grilled beef, chicken or pork.

Enjoy and Thanks for taking a peek!
~Liz



1 comment:

Angela said...

Yum! Great photo.